Go to navigation Go to content
Toll-Free: (800) 817-3729
Phone: (608) 821-4600
Atterbury, Kammer & Haag, S.C.
Call Us (608) 821-4600
Toll Free (800) 817-3729
Fax (608) 821-4610

I was in a motor vehicle accident. What should I do first?

This is a very important question and unfortunately requires a very long answer. This is why we wrote a book called "7 Mistakes that Can Wreck Your Wisconsin Auto Accident Case-and How to Avoid Them." We put together this book and are giving it away for free so that people are adequately prepared and know what to do in the event of a car accident. All you need to do is simply follow the link from our home page, give us a name and an address, and we will send you a copy of this book at no obligation or cost to you.

In brief though, you should do the following:

  1. Take whatever steps you can to preserve evidence of the accident itself, including photographs of the involved vehicles and photographs of any injuries.
  2. You should obtain a copy of any police report from the municipality that investigated your accident.
  3. You should immediately seek medical treatment if you are in need of it. You should then follow your doctor's recommendations and complete whatever treatment is suggested.
  4. Finally, you should not give any information to the other driver's insurance company until you have had a chance to discuss with your attorney what they are looking for.

Again, for a much more detailed answer, please order your free copy of our book, "7 Mistakes that Can Wreck Your Wisconsin Auto Accident Case-and How to Avoid Them"