Se Habla Espanol
Locate Us

8500 Greenway BlvdSuite 103
Middleton, WI 53562

Call Us


Filing A Complaint With The State Of Wisconsin Commissioner Of Insurance

If you feel you have been wronged by an insurance company or its personnel, you can file a complaint with the State of Wisconsin Office of the Commissioner of Insurance (OCI). You can obtain complaint forms at You can also get complaint forms by calling OCI at toll-free at 1-800-236-8517 (within Wisconsin), 1-608-266-0103 (outside of Wisconsin) or by writing to OCI at 125 South Webster Street, P.O. Box 7873, Madison, WI 53707-7873.

You should know that OCI rarely orders any company to pay a claim, even when the company is clearly wrong in denying a particular claim. Why? OCI has a big job and a limited number of staff. OCI is charged with, among other things, the responsibility of regulating the insurance companies that do business in the State of Wisconsin.

Nonetheless, it still may be worthwhile to file a complaint with OCI. Filing a complaint means that the insurance company will be required to respond. In a small number of cases OCI will seek further information from the insurance company. This may be helpful to you.

In many cases, the insurance company will offer an explanation (excuse) for its behavior. Often, OCI will accept that excuse and not take any further action. If you truly believe the insurance company has behaved inappropriately, you may want to consult an attorney with experience handling insurance disputes.

Eric J. Haag

Wisconsin Personal Injury

View Profile

Alexander S. Kammer

Wisconsin Personal Injury

View Profile

Awards widget

    No Cost,
    No Obligation Initial Evaluation of Your Case