Proven Madison Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
Despite what many may believe to be true, motorcycle riders have the same rights on the road as any other driver in a car does. While your rights may be the same though, other drivers’ negligent driving, or rather blatant disregard for your equal rights and use of the road can compromise your safety in ways that can be unimaginable. As they operate much larger machinery, and often traveling at much faster speeds, the drivers of standard motor vehicles have a heavy and unfortunate capability to cause serious damage to motorcyclists as they attempt to make their way to their desired destinations.
According to studies carried out by the Wisconsin Department of Transportation, approximately 77 fatal motorcycle injuries occur in our state each year. Such injuries can obviously have far-reaching impacts on you and your loved ones, both emotionally and financially, and of course physically — in what can be a grueling healing process, which for some may never lead to a full recovery.
At Atterbury, Kammer & Haag, S.C., our team of trained Wisconsin personal injury lawyers have a broad wealth of experience in defending clients who have been in a motorcycle crash and suffered motorcycle injuries as a result of another individual’s negligence. Unfortunately, what likely could have been an avoidable motorcycle crash is determined by the split second decision making (or lack thereof) of an individual.
Know that our team does not take this level of incompetence lightly, and will do our due diligence to ensure that any responsible party is held accountable for any damages caused to you and/or your property. Due to our 50+ years of combined experience in motorcycle accident cases, our experienced legal team of personal injury attorneys are familiar with the usual proceedings of cases involving motorists on the road.
Why Should I Hire A Motorcycle Accident Lawyer?
One usual and unfortunate fact that often appears in any pre-trial proceedings for motorcycle accident cases is that the first settlement offer made by an insurance company typically is severely underestimated. What should be a sincere offer to make things right holistically, as much as one could do in such unfortunate circumstances, often does not fairly compensate individuals for a serious motorcycle accident claim.
More often than not, insurance companies will aim to pay you a minimal amount of compensation for motorcycle accident injuries and any related incidents, rather than a full amount to financially cover what you deserve (not only handling any medical bills, but also any lost wages, mental health services, and any other treatments or services needed as a result of your injury).
Through years of experience dealing with insurance companies all playing the same game of low balling victims in order to maximize their own profit, our well trained motorcycle accident lawyers understand that the best course of action to ensure that a trick like this does not happen is to go farther than an offer on the table. Our team will fight for you to get you every penny that you deserve from insurance companies who do have the finances to offer but fear of damaging their reputation or public credibility. With this information in mind, our attorneys are never afraid to take the next step for our clients, and elevate a case to trial. In fact, many insurance companies do not offer a reasonable settlement until a lawsuit is filed.
Types of Motorcycle Accidents
When operating a motorcycle, it is important to be aware that you may be harder to spot on the road. This is why you must drive defensively at all times. Although you do not owe any greater duty of care than any other driver, it is prudent to be defensive to avoid against the risk of serious injury. In this day and age, increasing levels of distracted driving, people texting and talking on cell phones, a motorcyclist is at even higher risk of injury because the nature of a motorcycle leaves the driver more exposed than a car or truck.
There are many different types of motorcycle accidents, but some of the most common include:
- Head-on collisions: These accidents occur when a motorcycle and another vehicle collide head-on. They are often the most serious type of motorcycle accident, as the riders are not protected by the same safety features as occupants of cars or trucks.
- Sideswipes: These accidents occur when a motorcycle is struck by another vehicle from the side. They can be caused by drivers who change lanes without looking, or by drivers who open their doors into the path of a motorcycle.
- Rear-end collisions: These accidents occur when a motorcycle is struck from behind by another vehicle. They are often caused by drivers who are not paying attention to the road, or who are following too closely.
- Single-vehicle accidents: These accidents occur when a motorcycle rider loses control of their bike and crashes. They can be caused by a variety of factors, such as speeding, alcohol or drug use, or unsafe riding practices.
- Falls: Motorcycle riders can also be injured if they fall off their bikes. This can happen due to a variety of factors, such as a mechanical failure, a pothole, or a sudden stop.
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, it is important to seek medical attention immediately. You should also contact a motorcycle accident lawyer to discuss your legal rights. An experienced lawyer can help you understand the law and your options for recovering compensation for your injuries.
Preventing Motorcycle Injuries and Accidents
There are a number of things that motorcycle riders can do to help prevent accidents. These can include:
- Wearing a helmet: A helmet is the single most important piece of safety gear for motorcycle riders. It can help to protect your head and brain from serious injury or death in the event of an accident.
- Driving defensively: Motorcycle riders should always be aware of their surroundings and drive defensively. This means being prepared for the unexpected and avoiding risky driving behaviors. Do not assume that a car or other motor vehicle can automatically see you. In many cases, distracted motorists can be completely oblivious to a bike rider no matter how loud your motorbike is. Always assume that a motorist is distracted or impaired.
- Be seen: Motorcycles are small and can be difficult to see, especially in poor weather conditions. Riders should make sure to be seen by wearing bright clothing and using lights during the day and night.
- Obey the rules of the road: Motorcycle riders should obey all traffic laws, including speed limits and stop signs. This will help to reduce the risk of accidents.
Many Possible Injuries Can Result From a Motorcycle Accident
Injuries that may result from motorcycle accidents have the potential to be devastatingly life changing and often catastrophic. Especially in cases where long-term medical care is necessary, medical bills and expenses that result from motorcycle injuries can quickly add up to be substantial and life-altering as well.
Common injuries caused by motorcycle accidents include:
-Scarring and disfigurement
-Loss of limbs
-Serious bone fractures
-Damage to internal organs
Am I Automatically At Fault In A Motorcycle Accident?
No, you are not automatically at fault if you are in a motorcycle accident. In Wisconsin, the law follows the principle of modified comparative negligence (also known as the 51 percent rule), which means that each party’s fault is assigned a percentage, and the injured party’s damages are reduced by their percentage of fault. So, even if you are partially at fault for the accident, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries.
Don’t hesitate– Contact a Wisconsin Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Today.
The best way to avoid being taken advantage of by an insurance company whose goal is to pay as little as possible is to obtain experienced legal counsel as an advocate in your corner. Involving an attorney in your case will allow you to seek advice from an individual who has years of experience dealing with insurance companies and maximize your chances of obtaining a fair and reasonable financial recovery.
Unlike settlement mill firms, the lawyers at Atterbury, Kammer & Haag, S.C. won’t refer your case to another firm if an early settlement is not possible. These settlement mill firms often avoid trials, which leads to clients missing out on maximal compensation. We have an extensive track record of success as trial lawyers and are not afraid to file a lawsuit and take your case to trial if that is what it takes in order to obtain fair compensation.
You have been through a traumatic situation which creates stress and anxiety. We are well equipped to handle the complexities of the claims process and the legal system. You deserve an expert lawyer on your side. For a no-cost, no-obligation consultation, call us toll-free at 1-800-817-3729 or 608-821-4600. Contact a motorcycle accident attorney today by filling out our online contact form and a motorcycle lawyer will get back to you. Our Wisconsin motorbike injury lawyers serve all of Madison and the surrounding areas, including Middleton.